Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 23, 2012

A Tale of San Francisco, & the Rhinesone Ballet Slippers


Ive always wanted to blog about this story becuase I remember it quite often, It really is a great little story I know i'll carry with me, and hopefully pass on to my children and grandchildren. Well, its not that serious, but ok.

Back in 2008, my sister Crystal was stationed in California, on Travis AFB. We were so lucky we all got to be together for a nice long 10 days... we decided to take a cruise down to Frisco since it was only about an hour drive. I was in awe of how our car was making it up the steep hills for streets in that city! It was like taking a roller coatser ride!


Check out the major slants the San Franciscans have to deal with! Even the houses look like a caricature, or like you may be in a fun house and had one too many to margaritas.




Then we visited "The Painted Ladies" a few Edwardian, or victorian style houses that are painted in 3 or four different colors to enhance the architechtural details. Do any of these houses look familiar?


yep, its the full house "House" !

we mosied on down to little italy for some great italian food, and then made our way to some other great Frisco sights, like Pier 39, a great view of Alcatraz, the crazy lookin Lombard street.

We decided to go to China Town just for some window shopping and people watching. The streets were filled with chinese Gamblers gathered around smoking cigarets, and playing for money. We passed so many tea shops, and stores filled with chotchskies, and a plethera of chinese goods. Not to mention the wierd markets with wierd meats hanging like skinned frogs, ducks, and other exotic meats hanging like chandeliers, and my dad actually went all the way to the back of one to investigate and see what else they were plucking and skinning back there, and was shooed out by a flock of chinese ladies. Ill spare those photos.



I did score a few of the most beautiful scarves, and Chinese Pashmena's which I love and cherish and remember my visit by. It was at china town after much walking and browsing so many interesting stores that me and hubby came across the most GORGEOUS ballerina flats. For all my lady readers, back in 2008 ballet flats were ALL the rage, and every one had a pair. I laid my eyes across a pair of black laceflats, the front of the toe was closed, round and had a dusty rose satin ribbon delicatly coiled into neat cute bow. The best part of these babies was that the toe part was capped into a half circle encrusted in pearlescent rhinestone crystals. My eyeballs almost popped out of my head! These were so beautiful not to mention they were ballet flats which were so IN, and were so versatile to any ladies wardrobe. I created a soul tie right there and then with these shoes. I tried them on and I was on cloud 9. I felt like I was floating. I fell in love, so i checked the price tag. I didnt like. Andrew said they looked great on me and they were really nice shoes, and if I liked them that much I should get them. I really think he was itching to get out of the store and away from all the sparkly things. He found something else across the store and I tried them on again.

I had never owned anything in that price range, and be being the frugalista that I am deep down I just couldnt justify it. Plus we hadnt stopped at the legendary 3 story Forever 21 in Downtown San Francisco just yet? Was I willing to blow it all on a pair of shoes? Or was I going to hold out for a great haul of clothes and accessories for the upcoming holidays? what was a girl to do?

After much debate I decided they were out of my pricerange, and thought maybe i'd find a better deal with another store in frisco. We left, and I already had separation anxiety. I was having second thoughts and I wanted to go back. I didnt and after a honey dew Bubble tea i felt much better, and I forgot about it. We ended up finishing our visit to San Francisco, and went back home. We flew back to phoenix, but somehow I always remembered the flats. I did numerous google searches, checked Zappos, Nordtsom, Macey's T.j maxx marshalls, to no avail. I even resorted to Juicy Coture,nothing like the one pair of Capped toe ballet flats. I resented myself.

I should have bought them! To this day I still try to look for
them, and although the trend may have died down a bit since them, there hasnt been anything like them, or even remotely close to them.
Andrew remembers too. Now evertime Im not sure about my fashion purchases for my wardobe he always reminds me about the One pair of Rhinestone slippers I left in San Francisco. Oh how I wish I could go back. I still day dream that somehow they might still be there for me. I tried searching for a photo that might resemble them, but this is the best could do. Its all wrong, and not even close to what I have in my mind. It might help if you had a visual.

These dont do the originals justice.





I wanted to write this story because fashion fads come and go, some im thankful they go, but a classic pair of classy shoes never go out of style.
The moral of this story is " only get it if you LOVE it. Somethings just need to be chosen for quality not quantity ".

I wonder do any of you have a similar "remorse story"?

Thanks for reading :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice, thank you.