Total Pageviews

Friday, July 20, 2012

Healthy Pancakes ???



Ok so when I first saw this recipe, I thought the same thing, how can pancakes be healthy? Flour, tons of sugar, CARBS CARBS CARBS! It came from mens health.
Im usually pretty good about memorizing ingredients for a recipe, but then I usually take my own twist on it, either because I dont have all the ingredients or because I just want to get creative.

I had to try this. what drew me in was the photo. The pancakes looked really fluffy and I already knew they had added baking powder. Im not a baker so I dont have this powder. Betty crocker all the way. The recipe only called for 5 ingredients and none of those were baking powder. After weeks of trying to get the exact recipe right without false advertisement (LOL) I got it right. Its pretty close to the original recipe, and photo, but most importantly they really ARE healthy.


Here's what you will need.

Oatmeal 1 cup
Egg whites 1/2 cup
Low-fat Cottage Cheese two heaping spoonfuls
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
Sprinkle of cinnamon
Butter

your choice:
Acave nectar vs Maple Syrup
blueberries or your choice of fruit.


In your blender, grind your oats until it turns into a fine powder.


Then incorporate all your wet ingredients.


Blend into a smooth batter. Let the batter sit for about 3 minutes to thicken. IMPORTANT TIP. Your batter should be quite thick.If its not thick after 3 minutes, add in a handful more oats and blend again for a few seconds.
put some butter in the griddle or non-stick pan and pour in some batter.



You wont see bubbles rise to the top and pop like you would notice with redular pancake batter, but you will notice them rising a bit. Thats the egg whites in action!
For me, through all the testing, the first one is somewhat of a Dud. After that they all look great.

Get crazy with it. or not. You could add in choco chips, banannas, or serve with fresh fruit , even some pumpkin puree. I let hubby take the first taste just in case....
They turned out delicious, they all have a delicate oatmeal flavor, with the texture of homemade french toast. Its a great alternative for the usual pancakes without the gut busting calories. So whether you are on a diet, maybe you preffer french toast, or maybe you are just a guy and you dont know how to make pancakes from scratch. Make these for your girl, or yopur wife. Brownie points!



Have a blessed day! Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. Haven't got around to trying these yet. Maybe its because the texture of cottage cheese annoys me lol

    ReplyDelete

Be nice, thank you.